Tortise Articles

Saturday, July 3, 2010

he Grizzly as a Predator


My first exposure to Grizzlies was in the mid-1970s when my Grandfather homesteaded on a mountain in Northwestern Montana. During one summer night a sow Grizzly and her two cubs killed two of my Grandfather’s sheep. I was amazed that an animal like that would kill my Grandfather’s sheep. As I learned more about them I began to understand that the sow was merely doing what she needed to do to survive.Grizzly bears are powerful predators and must be considered the top-of-the-food-chain wherever they exist. Although they are frequently depicted as being a carnivorous eating machine most of their diet consists of nuts, berries, fruit, leaves, and roots. In certain seasons Grizzlies will be more apt to eat carrion and prey on animals. Bears will focus on easy meals such as winter killed animals in early spring and easy prey such as ground squirrels are sought out in September when they are fat and slow. Grizzlies can frequently be seen digging for them on side hills. They will also feed on moose, caribou and elk calves when the opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment